When you hire Chase Moving and Storage to move your household’s belongings, there are a few things that you can do to prepare for the moving process.
In this blog post, we’ll highlight the main points you should keep in mind before we arrive. Following these guidelines will ensure a smooth, efficient move for everyone.
Preparing Your Items
- All IKEA and other IKEA-type furniture must be disassembled and packed prior to our arrival. We will not disassemble any furniture without an additional charge.
- Dressers must be emptied. Soft contents are permitted as long as the dresser is in good shape structurally, but all contents must be removed from double, triple, or high dressers.
- Fridges and freezers must be emptied, defrosted, wiped clean and dried out for at least 24 hours before we begin loading.
- Washers, dryers, icemakers, and other appliances must be emptied and disconnected.
- Any petroleum-powered machinery (e.g. lawnmowers, snow blowers, leaf blowers) may travel with petroleum (fuel, engine oil, lube) in the tank provided the tank is at least one-quarter full and has the original equipment manufacturer’s cap securely affixed. Engine oil that is in the engine may remain provided that the original manufacturer’s dipstick is present and securely affixed.
Preparing Your Home
- Pets and children must be in a secured area while our movers are working.
- Walkways and driveways must be cleared of ice and snow. There must be a path at least 36″ wide prior to our arrival.
- Any items located in a confined space (e.g. attic, crawlspace, storage shed) must be moved to an area accessible to us.
- Keep items that are not to be moved in a separate, safe area and make us aware that those things are not to be transported.
Outside of preparing furniture, appliances, and your home, here are a few things we’d like to bring to your attention:
- Our movers arrive between 8 am and 10 am, and you must be present for us to move your belongings.
- You must make us aware of any high-value items (with a value of more than $1500).
- Special items like pendulum clocks, water beds, large screen TVs, and hot tubs require special moving techniques, so make sure you notify us about those in advance, as well.
- If you are moving your items to a self-storage facility, you or an authorized representative (assigned by you) must be present when your goods are delivered to the storage location. Allied Van Lines’s cargo claim liability will cease once your goods are placed into the storage location, so it’s critical that you carefully inspect your shipment as it is being unloaded and notate any loss or damage.
Be sure to visit our FAQ page for further details about self-storage, packing, cancellation, and more!
Chase Moving and Storage is committed to making your move as stress-free and safe as possible. Give us a call today to schedule your move!