Moving with a pet in tow certainly adds another layer of complexity to your relocation process, but it doesn’t have to drive you crazy.
In fact, moving with a pet can be smooth and stress free—as long as you make some special considerations for your furry friend in advance.
At Chase Moving and Storage, we’ve been helping people with local and long-distance moves since 1908, and we’ve picked up a few tricks along the way that make moving with pets much easier. Here’s what we recommend…
What to Do When Moving With Your Pet
- Make sure your pet’s collar and ID tag are updated with your name and current contact info. Consider adding a microchip for extra peace of mind.
- Prepare a necessities kit that has enough food, cat litter, toys, grooming tools, and other items to last your pet a few days while you settle in and unpack.
- If you’re moving out of the area, talk to your veterinarian about obtaining your pet’s medical records and prescriptions. It also wouldn’t hurt to ask if they know of any reputable practices in your new locale.
- On moving day, find another place for your pet to stay (if possible), or at least keep them crated in a safe, quiet space. Keeping them away from all the frenzied activity, heavy furniture, and fragile items will make everyone feel less stressed—your pet included.
- On that note, try to move your belongings before you move your pet. Do what you can to make your new home feel comfortable and familiar prior to bringing them inside. For example, unpack their favorite toys or blankets so they can start to acclimate right away.
- Transport your pet in your vehicle. Smaller pets should be placed in a secure carrier, while larger dogs in the backseat should be leashed at all times. If you’re not careful, the combination of move-related anxiety and unfamiliar surroundings can cause pets to run away and get lost.
- If it’s a long-distance move, prepare in advance for pet-friendly travel. Think about potential car sickness, bathroom and water breaks, and hotels that can accommodate your pet.
If you plan ahead and make the above arrangements for your pet, you’ll be blown away by how smooth the moving process can actually be!
Chase Moving and Storage is your trusted source for dependable, affordable moving services in Burlington and beyond. For more of our time-tested tips and tricks, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can call us, email us, or fill out the contact form right here on our website.